What is a Universal tax reference number and how to find it

Every employer and pension provider is supplied with their own Universal Tax Reference Number in order to ensure their tax records can be identified by HMRC.

Where Can The Universal Tax Reference Number Be Found?

Usually, this number can be seen on your payslip whenever you are paid. You will also see it on your P60 which you will receive at the end of the tax year detailing how much money you were paid during the tax year and how much National Insurance and income tax were deducted. Another place where you can find the universal tax reference number is on a P45. You will receive one of these forms if you leave your job.

What Does The Universal Tax Reference Number Look Like?

The Universal Tax Reference number can be easily recognised on your paperwork. It has three digits which is then followed by a number of letters, numbers, or a mix of both numbers and letters. The first three numbers indicate which tax office is dealing with your employer while the rest of the reference number pertains to your specific employer. You don’t need to contact your employer’s tax office to handle any queries you have, however. You can simply contact any of the tax offices and give your National Insurance number.

What If I Have Two Jobs?

If you are employed by two employers you will receive HMRC notifications with different reference numbers. This is because every employers has their own unique tax reference number. You will receive an HMRC Notice of Coding every year for all jobs or pensions that you have. Each will have its own reference number so that you can be clear about which employment or pension is being referred to.

If you need help with Universal Tax reference Number or PAYE please contact The Accountancy Solutions on 01216297768 or 02070784001 for further advice.